Degree Level Required:
Map of Life (MOL) and the Max Planck – Yale Center for Biodiversity Movement and Global Change (MPYC) are seeking a Software Engineer who is interested developing new technologies to support effective global biodiversity education, monitoring, research and decision-making. The successful candidate will assemble and integrate a wide range of knowledge about species distributions. Map of Life is built on a scalable web platform geared for large biodiversity and environmental data and provides a range of information and biodiversity indicator products. Map of Life leads the data integration and mapping efforts of the Half-Earth Project that aims to identify and prioritize target areas for global biodiversity conservation.
- Develops programs or systems of small to moderate size and complexity. Modifies existing systems at all levels of difficulty.
- Provides informational input into decisions concerning the development and delivery of applications, programs and systems. Defines and analyzes requirements to meet the expectations of stakeholders and intended end user needs, scheduled timeline, and budgetary targets.
- Analyzes, defines and designs new systems and applications. Writes code in support of business solutions.
- Responsible for the creation, definition, communication, and management of project plans which includes architectural design, technology selection and methodologies to apply.
- Troubleshoots problems and provide ongoing maintenance and support for applications and systems.
- Prepares documentation, user manuals and develops formal proposals for new systems and modifications to existing systems. Mentors technical staff and provide training for end users.
- Contributes in the development of policies or modifications to exiting policies.
- Applies and keeps current with existing and emerging technologies and methodologies. Provides ongoing input to the establishment of programming standards, procedures, and methodologies.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and two years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Understanding of web technologies, data structures, system design.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills with the ability to conduct written and oral presentations.
- Ability to function effectively independently and as part of a team working in a collaborative environment, receiving and providing feedback.
- Excellent analytical skills with a good problem-solving attitude.