Barcelona Supercomputing Center
The Life Sciences Department at the BSC integrates the independent research of senior scientists that work on various aspects of Computer Science applied to Life Sciences, ranging from healthcare applications of machine learning and AI to the use of High Performance Computing (HPC) for biomedical research. The Computational Biology group (http://life.bsc.es/compbio) is involved in multiple projects covering a wide range of topics, including computational systems biology, network science, digital medicine, structural biology.
The candidate will work in collaboration with senior researchers in the Computational Biology Group of the Life Sciences Department as well as other research groups at the BSC. The work is in the framework of the research lines of the group that are focused on applications of AI in Personalized Medicine, which include synthetic data generation, complex systems modelling, agent-based simulations, among others.
The Researcher will work in a highly sophisticated HPC environment, will have access to state-of-the-art systems and computational infrastructures, and will establish collaborations with experts in different areas both at international and local levels as well as from the public and private sector. The Researcher’s tasks will involve developing and deploying systems for the generation of synthetic datasets to be used for further tasks, such as training and evaluation. The Researcher is expected to be familiar with the analysis of a wide range of biomedical data and deep learning and, preferably, concepts of privacy-preserving AI (federated learning) and explainable AI (XAI).
- Develop computational solutions, with special emphasis on AI methods, for the generation of synthetic instances of biomedical data of different types and modalities.
- Implement robust and reliable state-of-the-art generative models, such as Variational Autoencoders (VAE) and Generative Adversarial Networks (GAN).
- Interact efficiently with the HPC environment of the Barcelona Supercomputing Center.
- Explore the application of federated learning and explainability to the required tasks.
- Demonstrate skills in scientific communication.
- Establish and maintain collaborations with national and international researchers in both the public and private sectors in the area of healthcare and biomedical research.
- PhD in computer science or bioinformatics with a very strong AI component.
- Alternatively, an MSc on AI or Bioinformatics, with a strong computer science background, or background in applied mathematics/physics with demonstrated experience in AI methods.
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience:
- Experience in AI methodologies, specifically biomedical data analysis and synthetic data generation.
- Deep learning frameworks (PyTorch, TensorFlow).
- Interest in the life sciences area.
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience:
- Knowledge and experience in life sciences research.
- Knowledge and experience in machine learning and data science: ▪ Data pre/post-processing (feature selection, feature reduction, plotting and visualization) ▪ Supervised and unsupervised learning (classification, regression, clustering) ▪ Model deployment and scaling strategies (Doker, Kubernetes)
- Programming: Python (scikit-learn, numpy, matplotlib), R, Java, C, C++, Git.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Capacity to use new software, understand new methods, or new follow new research lines.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary – 1 year, renewable renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: asap