Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a full-stack Software Developer I to join a team developing leading edge opensource applications for analyzing genomic data in cloud compute environments. The applications will be used by researchers around the world to process and interpret vast amounts of cancer genomic data and to apply this understanding to new paradigms for diagnosing and treating cancer.
The project you will work on, Dockstore (https://dockstore.org) is an open source project aimed at providing a scientific tool repository and framework for launching large-scale, cloud-based genomics analysis. Dockstore combines the Docker software container system with portable, standard-compliant workflow descriptions, to create software packages that describe their inputs, outputs, and parameterization, and can easily be combined to form higher-level workflows. This work is closely tied to, and drives adoption of international standards created as part of the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (GA4GH)..
The MaRS Centre has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy in place that requires proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or proof of a medical exemption issued pursuant to the Government of Ontario guidelines. Accordingly, as a condition of employment, new employees who may be required to work on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 subject to the duty to accommodate on the basis of protected grounds pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Fully vaccinated is defined as having received all of the required doses of a Health Canada approved vaccine and having received the final dose at least 14 days before your employment start date.
As described above, the requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If the candidate is unable to receive the COVID-19 vaccine for a reason protected by the Code, requests for accommodation from the vaccine policy will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about working at OICR here.
Other responsibilities of the role include researching and designing new features to process new workflow languages and/or services in the Dockstore ecosystem, and supporting the integration of Dockstore into a variety of third party open source and commercial products. We will provide opportunities to conduct outreach and training.
- One of
- Experience in Java web service development skills (ex: Dropwizard, Spring Boot, etc.)
- Exposure to or interest in acquiring virtualization/cloud technologies (Docker, AWS CloudFormation, OpenStack, etc.)
- Exposure to, or interest in acquiring, knowledge of products in the Docker ecosystem (Compose, Swarm, Docker Cloud, etc.)
- Experience with a package manager such as NPM or Yarn
- Experience with a continuous integration platform such as CircleCI would be an asset
- Experience with Linux would be an asset.
- University degree in computer sciences, software engineering or equivalent;
- Experience in software development including but not limited to co-op terms and internships would be an asset;
- Excellent communication skills (listening, written and verbal), both in articulating your ideas and gathering input from inside and outside the institute;
- Resourceful team player who excels at building trusting relationships with users and colleagues; and
- Knowledge of bioinformatics/cancer genomics is an asset but not essential.