Atlantic Cancer Research Institute
, New Brunswick
Institution/Company: Atlantic Cancer Research Institute Location: Moncton, NB
Job Description: Position: Platform Associate- Production Bioinformatics Reports To: Chief Operations Officer Salary: Commensurate with level of experience Hours: 37.5 Hours per Week Status: Full-Time
The Atlantic Cancer Research Institute (ACRI) is seeking a Production Bioinformatician to assist its Scientists. ACRI’s bioinformatics needs are predominantly associated with Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) data and at a lower degree Mass Spectrometry-derived proteomics data. The Production Bioinformatician functions in an intermediate technical role that requires an individual with proven skills in both biology and computing, and who is dedicated to supporting a team of scientists, as well as ACRI partners, collaborators and clients.
The Production Bioinformatician will primarily provide support for the management and analysis of next-generation sequencing data and the operation of a high-throughput production sequencing data analysis pipelines in ACRI.
- Perform initial stage analysis on next-generation sequencing data transforming data from sequence to information meaningful for researchers;
- Continuous interaction with Platform managers to ensure that the software pipeline is consistently, reliably, efficiently and correctly processing data;
- Ensure that data is managed efficiently, securely, and without loss or corruption through its lifecycle;
- Provide bioinformatics support and training to end-users (research laboratory staff, remotely located collaborative users);
- Responsible for evaluating, implementing, and testing bioinformatics software tools that meet the analysis needs for specific internal and external collaborative projects;
- Development and support of tools and protocols for data deposition to external repositories that meet release cycles and publication requirements;
- Work with 3rd party software vendors to characterize and resolve problems with production software systems;
- Responsible for documenting and communicating pipeline processes and helping build the team knowledge base.
- A master’s degree in related discipline, with demonstrated experience in the skill set;
- Must have advanced skills in Unix shell programming environment;
- Proficiency with some Unix based scripting language (Perl, Python etc.) is required;
- Experience with statistical and graphical software packages (R) and associated bioinformatics libraries is essential.
- IT knowledge (HPC and data storage) is desirable;
- Experience supporting a high availability production software environment;
- Experience providing end-user software support, diagnosing and resolving end-user issues;
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary team environment;
- Experience with next generation sequencing analysis (RNA-seq, small RNA-seq, methyl-seq, etc.), especially with Illumina’s platforms and analytical tools (Novaseq6000, iSeq, BaseSpace, etc.);
- Must have a high degree of autonomy;
- Must have excellent communications (in one of NB’s official language – French/English) and interpersonal skills
How to Apply
For Interested Applicants, please email your CV and/or resume