Alberta Precision Labs
Degree Level Required:
The provincial Molecular Pathology Program of Alberta Precision Laboratories (APL) is seeking a Clinical Bioinformatics Lab Scientist with full-stack Software and/or Web Development skills and expertise in Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) to participate in our expanding cancer genomics program. In particular, the program has several NGS-based assays to identify genetic changes in clinical samples derived from cancer patients seen by the Alberta-wide cancer clinics and major centers. The Scientist will work with pathologists, wet lab scientists, and operational and support staff in APL and Information Technology staff of Alberta Health Services (AHS). As a Laboratory Scientist III you will be a highly skilled individual working as part of a multi-disciplinary team supporting procedural development and modification, documentation and implementation of research activities into the operation of a clinically oriented molecular laboratory. This position exercises independence in method development and new approaches to patient testing. In addition, the Laboratory Scientist III may perform routine and complex patient testing and data analysis/interpretation using a wide array of molecular methods, analytical platforms, and bioinformatic software programs.
Please apply directly at the link specified: https://albertahs.referrals.selectminds.com/apl/jobs/lab-scientist-iii-289422
- Development, deployment, and maintenance of informatics pipelines to analyze multiomic data (genome, epigenome, methylome, and transcriptome) for biomarker discovery and clinical testing.
- Development, deployment, and management of an integrated multiomic database.
- Development, deployment, and management of an automated reporting pipeline for multiomic results generated in clinical testing.
- Assist and support laboratory personnel and end-users for routine use of bioinformatics pipelines.
- Participate as a key member of a multi-functional team including pathologists, clinicians, and scientists that spans discovery, innovation, development, and clinical testing.
- Uphold APL mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with APL’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Completion of a degree in Software Development, Computational Biology, or Bioinformatics.
Additional Required Qualifications:
- Master or PhD level degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Sciences, Genetics, Biomedical Engineering, or similar field of study with 2+ years of experience in software and/or web interface programming may be considered for equivalency.
- High proficiency with Linux shell scripting.
- Proficiency in Python and R required, and one or more programming languages such as Perl, Java, or C/C++ desirable, as well as willingness to learn new programming languages as necessary for data analysis and visualization.
- Experience with open-source tools for genetic analyses.
- Proficiency with both Ion torrent and Illumina sequencing data.
- Working knowledge of version control and code base management using git and code repository tools (e.g. gitlab, bitbucket, github).
- Prior experience working in precision medicine and in a clinical-grade environment.
- 1+ years of experience with next-generation sequencing data analysis.
- Experience with public databases (e.g., NCBI, UCSC, gnomAD, etc) and relational databases (Postgresql, MySql, etc.).
- Experience with using the Linux OS, command line tools, and bash scripting.
- Experience with resources for high throughput computing.
- Design and implement scripts to automate workflow in the clinical molecular pathology lab.
Classification: Lab Scientist III Union: HSAA FAC PROF/TECH Department: Molecular Diagnostics05 Primary Location: Diagnostic Scientific Centre Multi-Site: Not Applicable FTE: 1.00 Posting End Date: 27-MAY-2022 Employee Class: Regular Full Time Date Available: 06-JUN-2022 Hours per Shift: 7.75 Length of Shift in weeks: 2 Shifts per cycle: 10 Shift Pattern: Days Days Off: Saturday/Sunday Minimum Salary: $45.62 Maximum Salary: $60.71 Vehicle Requirement: Not Applicable