University of British Columbia
, British Columbia
Degree Level Required:
Conduct bioinformatics data analysis and software development projects in a highly interdisciplinary, dynamic and team-based environment. Participation in a range of projects will be expected, with much opportunity to learn new skills and contribute to research on the genetics and genomics of human psychiatric and neurological conditions (including autism, schizophrenia and fetal alcohol spectrum disorder).
We anticipate this position will involve a mix of data analysis and software development, with proportions depending on experience, skills and interests of the candidate as well as needs. Particular anticipated roles:
- Modifies, tests and maintains web-browser- and command-line-based bioinformatics software and applications.
- Modifies, tests and maintains software pipelines and standard operating procedures for bioinformatics data analysis.
- Conducts and supports bioinformatics and statistical analyses and interpretation of DNA and RNA sequencing data in internal and collaborative research projects using appropriate software tools and custom programs and scripts.
- Documents and communicates analysis results in written and oral form.
- Creates and maintains developer documentation. Interacts with other team members to resolve problems, distribute tasks and plan future steps; contributes to team interactions by consultation, collaboration, teamwork and task-sharing.
- Undergraduate Degree in a relevant discipline. Minimum of one year of related experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Relevant disciplines would include bioinformatics, genetics, software engineering, or computer science.
- Experience in developing bioinformatics software applications is essential.
- The most desirable skill set for the position is R package and Shiny web application development experience, and statistical and computational approaches for the analysis of genomic and genetic data sets.
- Must show initiative and independence in day-to-day work.
- Must have excellent spoken and written English communication skills.
Salary: $56,264 – $67,542 (Annual) plus full UBC benefits