Harvard Chan School of Public Health
Degree Level Required:
The Harvard Chan Bioinformatics Core (HBC) invites applications for the position of Research Associate / Associate Training Director. This position combines applied bioinformatics research with teaching and program management. We are a leading center for bioinformatics research, services, and training at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, collaborating closely with biomedical scientists across Harvard to implement approaches for analysis, interpretation, visualization, and dissemination of scientific discoveries using high-throughput omics data.
We are seeking a skilled and motivated bioinformatician or computational biologist to co-direct our training program. The ideal candidate should possess a strong background in high-throughput sequencing data analysis and a genuine passion for sharing bioinformatics knowledge and best practices. Team management experience is vital, as this role involves leading and collaborating with others. Moreover, we value excellent communication and teaching abilities, along with strong quantitative and analytical skills.
The core runs an established and highly regarded bioinformatics training program for the Harvard Medical School, the Dana-Farber Harvard Cancer Center and the Harvard University Center for AIDS Research. As Associate Training Director, you will:
- Work closely with the Interim Training Director and training team to develop strategy for the curriculum.
- Identify gaps in bioinformatics educational offerings within the Harvard community.
- Develop and deliver teaching materials that address the needs of scientists at all levels within the Harvard community.
- Oversee the overall execution of the training program, including managing administrative responsibilities and mentoring junior training staff.
- Engage with the broader bioinformatics training community at Harvard University to ensure the quality and relevance of our educational offerings.
- Foster strong relationships with our partner institutes.
- Assess the impact of the training program using surveys and generate insightful reports for stakeholders.
Engaging in applied data analysis is essential to remain current with best practices in bioinformatics methods and troubleshoot complex questions that arise during the research process. Approximately a third of your effort will involve directly supporting biomedical research projects with analysis of high-throughput omics and multi-omics experiments. You will work with our team to develop and apply both standardized and customized bioinformatics workflows for transcriptomics, epigenomics and multi-omics projects across a wide variety of biomedical research projects, including cancer biology, immunology, stem cell research, infectious diseases, and neurobiology. This will also include mentoring junior staff and overseeing their work in close collaboration with the HBC Director.
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or a related field, with knowledge of molecular biology.
- Extensive teaching experience, including developing curricula and lessons for short workshops or longer courses with a hands-on programming component; experience coordinating and running hands-on training sessions.
- Proven experience in bioinformatics data analysis using R and/or Python with high-performance clusters and/or cloud computing.
- Demonstrated ability to apply statistical approaches, interpret findings, and effectively present results.
- Strong analytical, programming, and data management skills.
- Experience in scientific leadership, strategic direction, and/or mentoring with in a collaborative and goal-oriented setting.
- Excellent communication and time management abilities.
- Familiarity with FAIR data practices and tools for reproducible research, such as Git and Rmarkdown.
- A commitment to implementing best practices and promoting open science.
- A passion for education and a commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive learning environment.
Creative and independent problem solvers who are eager to build on their leadership and strategic thinking experience will thrive in this role. If you are excited about bioinformatics education and contributing to cutting-edge research in a collaborative environment, we encourage you to apply. This is a unique opportunity to shape the direction of our bioinformatics training program and impact education and scientific discoveries beyond the core. We look forward to reviewing your application and exploring the possibility of having you join our dynamic team of bioinformatics educators and researchers at the HBC.
We offer competitive salaries based on experience and are dedicated to maintaining a diverse workplace. The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Apply here: https://academicpositions.harvard.edu/postings/12615 and submit your CV and cover letter to email@example.com.
For more information about the Harvard Chan Bioinformatics Core (HBC), see https://bioinformatics.sph.harvard.edu.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Harvard Chan Bioinformatics Core