- McGill University
- Montréal, QC, Canada
- Job Type:
- Degree Level Required:
- Bachelor's, PhD, Masters
- Apply Now
The Canadian Center for Computational Genomics (C3G) at McGill University offers a stimulating and rewarding working environment, where projects bring concrete contributions to the advancement of research in fields such as human health and the environment. Our team is composed of people that are passionate about what they are doing, and that work with cutting edge sequencing technologies and high-performance computing equipment.
Under the supervision of the Bioinformatics Manager, the Bioinformatics Consultant will provide analysis services for client investigators and users of the Canadian Centre for Computational Genomics (C3G) at McGill University. The consultant will apply various analysis pipelines to data produced by Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) instruments and perform customized statistical analyses that enable biological interpretation of genomics data. Work will be done closely with external client investigators, other bioinformaticians and with scientists at the McGill Genome Centre. The consultant will be exposed to a wide variety of novel sequencing technologies, bioinformatics approaches, and state of the art computing resources in a dedicated facility for high-throughput sequencing and large-scale genomic studies.
- Apply bioinformatics solutions for the analysis of genomic datasets.
- Meet with clients and users to understand and help define their analysis requirements. When appropriate, inform the supervisor and formulate recommendations.
- Identify, investigate and solve client and help desk user problems.
- Provide detailed reports presenting results and descriptions of the methods used.
- Contribute to problem-solving team discussions.
- Update and develop the online documentation explaining and promoting the services offered and related analysis methodologies.
- On a regular basis, provide an internal report regarding the progress of projects (oral presentations).
- Stay informed of the most relevant bioinformatics practices in genomics by reading the scientific literature and attending scientific presentations.
- Manage several analysis projects at the same time and track effort.
- Participate in the development of bioinformatics solutions for the analysis of complex genomic datasets.
- Working knowledge of R and Unix shell scripting is required. Python proficiency is an asset.
- Good understanding of standard statistical concepts, experimental design and common data visualization techniques is required.
- Proven experience working in using HPC resources is prefered.
- Attention to detail, good communication and organizational skills and ability to work in a highly interactive group is required.
- Experience in providing bioinformatics training is desirable.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously is prefered.
- Good written and verbal communication skills French or English are required.
- Demonstrated interest in epigenomics, cancer genomics or metagenomics research is an asset.