- Western University
- London, ON, Canada
- Job Type:
- Programmer/Developer (2 year contract)
- Degree Level Required:
- 2-year College diploma
- Apply Now
With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada’s top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada’s most beautiful campuses.
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine fully supports the mission and values of the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, Western University, London Health Sciences Centre and St. Joseph’s Health Care London. Members of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine strive to provide a quality work environment that fosters unity, respect for diversity, teamwork and professional growth.
The mission of Dr. Poon’s research is focused on designing and implementing new computational methods to reconstruct the spread and adaptation of viruses from their genetic sequence variation. Viruses evolve so rapidly that a single infection can become genetically unique within weeks or months of transmission. We can use this evolutionary proliferation to characterize how a virus population has adapted to that patient’s immune system; to detect “hotspots” of virus transmission in an epidemic in real time; and to reconstruct the historical spread of a virus in human populations. To accomplish this, we use a blend of techniques from mathematical modeling, phylogenetics, pattern recognition, open-source software development and high performance computing. For more information visit: https://github.com/PoonLab.
The Programmer/Analyst will work in collaboration with the Principal Investigator and bioinformatics research group to define, develop, test, analyze, and maintain open source software applications that address the strategic needs of the research related to designing and implementing new computational methods to reconstruct the spread and adaptation of viruses from their genetic sequence variation. The incumbent will provide support by troubleshooting and fixing bugs, implementing new features, and assist with planning for hardware and software enhancements to ensure the needs of research team are met. In addition, the incumbent will contribute to Linux systems administration, including workstation, server and HPC cluster maintenance and diagnostics, data backups, and security monitoring. The Programmer/Analyst will ensure the latest techniques and strategies are used, and make recommendations regarding the planning and delivery of services related to the research.
- 2-year Community College Diploma in a Computer Programming or Information Technology field Preferred:
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Sciences or related field (including quantitative sciences, e.g., statistics, applied mathematics)
- 2 years’ experience in programming and software development in an industry or academic research environment
- Experience with Python and R programming languages and with Linux operating systems Preferred:
- Experience with application development technologies in an academic IT environment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Familiarity with Linux system administration, including computer networks, operating systems, and applications software
- Familiarity with current internet technologies and with best practices in developing test cases and test plans
- Familiarity with project management tools and resources (e.g., version control systems) with the ability to meet tight deadlines and perform well under pressure
- Ability to adapt to change and master new technical and organization concepts and processes
- Communication skills to describe technical concepts effectively to both novice and sophisticated users with the ability to write clear, concise and accurate procedural documentation
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Ability to provide solutions and ideas for improvement by using imaginative approaches where constructive thinking and innovation are required
- Ability to follow formal business practices with high attention to detail
- Commitment to ongoing professional development with a desire to take on new challenges and an ability and willingness to stay abreast of technological developments
- Computer skills with the ability to creatively use and integrate technology to improve quality and productivity
- Excellent troubleshooting ability along with hands-on expertise in technical support
- Demonstrated ability take initiative, to work independently and follow through on work assignments
- Problem solving skills with a sense of urgency in resolving issues and getting tasks completed
- Proven ability and natural inclination to develop relationships by interacting with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals