- Center for Data Intensive Science, University of Chicago
- Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Job Type:
- Degree Level Required:
- Apply Now
We’re looking for a problem solver with a background in python programming and database design to join our data engineering team building out a petabyte-scale data commons platform for cancer research. This role focuses on the Genomic Data Commons, which is at the forefront of both cutting edge research and production systems supporting cancer research. You will join a team of engineers developing innovative technologies who will keep you challenged in our rapidly changing environment as we work together to accelerate discovery through data-driven cancer research.
Research projects span management, sharing, and provenance of large data sets; resource allocation and scheduling for cloud computing, large scale pipelining of next-generation sequence analysis, transfer programs/protocols for high-speed networks and resource visualization.
About the Center for Data Intensive Science:
The Center for Data Intensive Science at the University of Chicago is a research center pioneering translational data science to advance biology, medicine, and environmental research. Our work centers around developing instruments to integrate commons of complex data with cloud computing technology. We architect large scale commons of research data, computing resources, applications, tools, services. Through this approach, we can more effectively use data at scale to study and pursue scientific inquiry in the areas of biology, medicine, healthcare, and the environment. https://cdis.uchicago.edu
- Works with cloud computing infrastructure primarily based on OpenStack to design, develop, maintain, and evaluate software applications to meet business and technical requirements.
- Works in Linux-based systems in Python with some C/C++ and Go and various web programming.
- Solves complex problems and performs at a high technical level in programming activities.
- Executes code testing and ensures appropriate standards are met.
- Provides production and user support.
- Serves as a liaison with internal and external collaborators on various research projects.
- Documents project development and programming code.
- Research includes the full stack from systems to algorithms to user interfaces.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, engineering, or a related field required.
- PhD or Advanced Degree preferred.
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant programming experience required.
- Experience using applications such as Python, C/C++, Java, or Ruby required.
- Unix/Linux experience required.
- Version control experience required
- High performance/ cloud computing experience preferred.
- Unix/Linux programming or system administration experience preferred.
- UX/UI experience preferred.
- Git version control experience preferred.
- Experience with genomics preferred.