- Contextual Genomics Inc.
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Job Type:
- Degree Level Required:
- Apply Now
The Bioinformatician will design and implement bioinformatics workflows and software for novel and proprietary cancer-focused next generation sequencing assays. This will entail analysis and interpretation of assay results from clinical datasets to be used in clinically certified reports. This position will contribute to designing and implementing quantitative quality control and quality assurance processes from NGS output to ensure clinically robust reports. The Bioinformatician will help design optimal analytic processes to be implemented by a software development team. The optimal processes will inform a locked down software system for clinical deployment.
The Bioinformatician will be responsible for analyzing multiple datasets. Attention to detail and uncompromisingly meticulous execution of analysis is critical to success in this position. The successful candidate will work independently, but will interact with software programmers, database developers, other bioinformaticians, clinical geneticists and laboratory personnel.
• Analysis and interpretation of clinical NGS datasets as they emerge from sequencers
• Assessment of quality of results and curation of datasets to determine their clinical reportability
• Determination of mutations existing within a sample through application of internal software systems
• Integrity checking of results to be reported to the clinical team
Skills and Abilities:
● Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
● Ability to organize workload and set priorities
● Physical ability to perform the duties of the job
• Masters or a doctorate degree in genetics, genomics or bioinformatics
• 1+ year experience working in a clinical or research setting related to genomics
• Experience working in a Linux/UNIX operating system environment and facility with commandline interfaces
• Experience with next generation sequencing (NGS) data
• Experience in quality control/quality assurance in NGS data
• 1+ year experience working with standard NGS analysis tools such as samtools, alignment software (eg BWA or bowtie) and variant detection (eg GATK, samtools)
How to Apply
To apply for this position, email CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with job code: JD022 in the header.