Bioinformatics Data Analyst (RE2)
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
- Job Type:
- Degree Level Required:
- Bachelor's, Masters
- Apply Now
Bioinformatics Data Analyst (RE2)
ELIXIR (European Life Science Infrastructure for Biological Information) is a pan-European organization founded in 2014, which aims to integrate and harmonize European bioinformatics infrastructures. ELIXIR coordinates the participation of more than 20 countries, engages with other strategic European initiatives and projects e.g. ESFRI, Research Data Alliance, EUDat, EGI; promotes specific training activities and workshops on ELIXIR resources, partners with industry, and play a key role in shaping the bioinformatics landscape. Spain is a member of ELIXIR since 2015, with the INB as the Spanish national node. Within ELIXIR, the INB is responsible for the bioinformatics infrastructure offered by Spain, and therefore, should guarantee its alignment to the strategic areas put forward by ELIXIR.
The INB has recently incorporated two overarching objectives: increase the alignment of its activities with ELIXIR, and increase the translational impact of INB actions towards the Spanish National Health System (SNS). For the later objective, the INB has created and support TransBioNet (Translational Bioinformatics Network) which aims to structure, bring together and work with bioinformatics groups at healthcare settings with a special focus on the Health Research Institutes (IIS) recognized by the ISCIII.
The INB is looking for a Bioinformatics Data Analyst who will join their team in the framework of a new project to organise COVID-19 data in Spain, contributing to develop a computational infrastructure for secure data storage and analysis across regions. This work will involve close coordination with other groups in Spanish health Centres, and with infrastructure providers within and outside the BSC.
Contribute to the development of a computational infrastructure for secure COVID-19 data storage and analysis.
Manage and support users of the INB computational resources, including computational equipment, databases, and software infrastructure.
Develop, document and maintain the processes for extracting and organizing COVID-19 data from projects belonging to the ISCIII-funded project on this area.
Develop, document and maintain software for the integration and biological data, following the guidelines of ELIXIR and the European COVID-19 data portal.
Maintain communication with ELIXIR platforms, communities, and leadership; participate in their regular meetings and discussions.
Contribute to supervise junior members at the INB/ELIXIR-ES units.
- BSc or MSc. in bioinformatics, computational biology or computer sciences with significant bioinformatics experience.
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- At least 2 years of professional experience with a similar role.
- Experience in cloud computing.
- Experience in data management APIs and most common bioinformatics data sources and formats.
- Experience in database design and management (SQL and noSQL): MySQL/MariaDB, PostgreSQL, SQLite or similar; MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Cassandra or similar.
- Experience with advanced software packaging procedures.
- At least 2.5 years of professional experience on programming languages ecosystems such as C++, Perl, Python, PHP and/or Java.
- Vast experience working with Unix/Linux systems.
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Experience on the development, generation and use of software containers, e.g. Docker, Singularity, as well as their orchestration and deployment, e.g. using docker compose, kubernetes, ansible and/or similar technologies.
- Experience on workflow managers such as Galaxy, Nextflow or similar.
- Experience on developing project technical specifications.
- Ability of understand scientific literature, and software documentation.
- Ability to communicate scientific results.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to represent the team at international project meetings.
- Used to work under pressure under strict deadlines.