Technical research manager (RE2)
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
- Job Type:
- Degree Level Required:
- Apply Now
Technical research manager (RE2)
ELIXIR (European Life Science Infrastructure for Biological Information) is a pan-European organization founded in 2014, which aims to integrate and harmonize European bioinformatics infrastructures. ELIXIR coordinates the participation of more than 20 countries, engages with other strategic European initiatives and projects e.g. ESFRI, Research Data Alliance, EUDat, EGI; promotes specific training activities and workshops on ELIXIR resources, partners with industry, and play a key role in shaping the bioinformatics landscape. Spain is a member of ELIXIR since 2015, with the INB as the Spanish national node. Within ELIXIR, the INB is responsible for the bioinformatics infrastructure offered by Spain, and therefore, should guarantee its alignment to the strategic areas put forward by ELIXIR.
The INB coordinates the Data Science programme within the newly established Spanish infrastructure for Personalized Medicine associated to Science and Technology (IMPaCT in Spanish), which aims to establish an interoperable framework biomedical data integration and analysis, addressing questions from clinicians through the implementation of computing systems in health environments. This programme will prepare clinical data in Spain for secondary use, including medical imaging, structured and non-structured clinical data and genomics, taking into account all the necessary legal provisions for each possible use and setting. This programme will involve the liaison with a diverse number of stakeholders, including hospitals, the ISCIII, companies in the biomedical sector, the Spanish Medicines Agency and biomedical researchers, among others. All developments will be aligned with the European initiatives in the area, including those from ELIXIR, 1+Million Genomes, the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health and data sharing projects such as FAIR4Health, HealthyCloud and TEHDAS.
The INB seeks a technical research manager that will join the team to provide support in the coordination of the IMPaCT Data Science programme, liaising with all the involved stakeholders within and outside the BSC, and contribute to coordinate the technical tasks.
- Plan the use of resources and monitor the progress of work of research projects involving several partners, supporting the PI in keeping track of both technical and administrative tasks.
- Interface with BSC legal services, BSC researchers and external parties, including negotiating, supervising the drafting and signing process of contracts (consortium agreements, NDAs, grant agreements, contracts with companies, etc.).
- Organize and participate in project meetings, teleconferences, reviews and other events.
- Maintain communication with project stakeholders; participate in regular meetings and discussions.
- University Degree (some relation with Life Sciences and/or IT will be an advantage).
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- At least two years’ experience in research management and project proposal preparation, preferably in the life sciences/IT area.
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- A bioinformatics background.
- Experience on developing project technical specifications.
- Experience coordinating research proposals and projects funded by the Framework Programme of the European Commission, the Spanish Plan Estatal as well as bilateral contracts with companies, will be an advantage. Competences Fluency in English and Spanish is essential. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability of understand scientific literature, and software documentation. Used to working autonomously and taking the initiative. Ability to represent the team in international project meetings. Used to working under pressure with strict deadlines.