- University of Chicago
- Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Job Type:
- Degree Level Required:
- Apply Now
We’re looking for a Senior Bioinformatician to lead data processing for biomedical research informatics cyberinfrastructure within a team of engineers and scientists. You will join a community of government, academic, and industry professionals dedicated to advancing biomedical research through data commons, analytic tools, and data ecosystems.
Our work lies at the intersection of cutting edge research and production systems, both in terms of the advanced bioinformatics and the computer science principles being utilized. The data commons we are building offer some of the world’s largest collections of biomedical data for scientific research and discovery.
- Develop, execute, test, and roll out project-specific bioinformatics solutions.
- Investigate, devise, and modify procedures to solve complex problems at a highly technical level across all phases of bioinformatics support activities.
- Contribute to the technical and scientific leadership of the Center, including broader decisions on projects, infrastructure, technologies, platforms, and framework needs.
- Develop technical diagrams, project plans, timelines, and resource allocations, escalating key decisions to senior management and stakeholders.
- Provide technical and scientific oversight for projects and mentorship to junior team members.
- Doctoral degree in Bioinformatics, Biological Sciences, Computer Science, or a related field required.
- Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 5-7 years of work experience in a related job discipline
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in the field of bioinformatics
- Experience in the bioinformatics of Next Generation sequencing technologies
- Experience using languages such as Java, Python, SQL, or XML
- Familiarity with Linux and/or Unix
- Basic knowledge of molecular biology
- Basic knowledge of statistics
- Experience in employing high performance computing to solve parallelizable compute problems
- Experience providing bioinformatics services or other service roles
- Experience with human genomics