Content Editor & Themer
Position: Content Editor and Themer
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Informatics & Bio-computing
Reports To: Manager, Web Developer
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 Hrs/week
Status: Full-time (Temporary Contract, 3 months)
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a Content Editor and Themer. We are looking for someone with a passion for producing webpages of high quality. Candidates should have design experience, coding experience, strong communication skills and the ability to discuss design, and to support end-users to build and deliver innovative digital solutions. Your previous work experience includes site building, database solutions and content management systems.
• Responsible for theming from design mockups to front-end markup and programming, including but not limited to HTML/XHTML/HTML5, DHTML, XML, and CSS/CSS3, in a Mac environment;
• Provide training and support for end-user support of content updates for a suite of public-facing websites, be a partner to program-specific Content Editors to ensure that the information they present on their website supports their communication needs and provides their users with a high quality online experience;
• Report problems in design, user experience and technical problems including but not limited to browser compatibility issues.
• Identify areas of opportunity to enhance the user experience, help develop and test new tools, and improve communication strategies. Present these recommendations to management and stakeholders;
• Act as a brand/design/feature governance expert by ensuring that all online and electronic marketing materials adhere to documented brand standards, user experience standards, and are in alignment with existing websites both in terms of structure and visual design;
• Strong knowledge in web standards, user interface design, and front-end web development;
• Strong experience with producing and developing large-scale websites. This includes testing and operational aspects;
• Expertise in hand-coded (X)HTML and CSS.
• Experience using Drupal;
• Experience with Version control (e.g., Subversion), issue tracking (e.g., JIRA), Agile planning (e.g., GreenHopper), and Collaborative Sharing (e.g., Wiki);
• Experience with writing for the web, as well as some copy editing;
• Experience producing content modeling mental maps;
• Experience producing user scenarios and testing those scenarios against a web application;
• A positive, forward-thinker with a high degree of attention to detail and accuracy;
• Good judgment, ability to work independently to solve problems and make decisions effectively, and to thrive overall in a changing, dynamic environment;
• Experience with PHP and MYSQL;
• Applicants should provide links to samples of their work with their application.
OICR is an innovative cancer research institute located in the MaRS Centre in the Discovery District in downtown Toronto. OICR is addressing significant challenges in cancer research with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams. New discoveries to prevent, detect and treat cancer will be moved from the bench to practical applications in patients. The OICR team is growing quickly. We are innovative, dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals interested in being part of a culture of excellence that will result in Ontario being recognized internationally as a leading jurisdiction for cancer research.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Research and Innovation.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
POSTED DATE: April 12, 2013
CLOSING DATE: Posted until filled
Interested candidates may apply here
OICR has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .doc file.
NOTE: Candidates under consideration will be required to complete an online test and provide samples of their work.